The significance of Information Technology in Education
Over time, fueled by rapid technological advancements and enhanced communication methods, the elevation of knowledge, heightened societal demands, and an increasing reliance on contemporary technologies have become prevalent. Information technology and electronic resources, particularly those available through the global Internet network, are not merely facets of development; they now stand as central pillars, influencing the fabric of society and, on a broader scale, shaping the trajectory of a nation as an active participant in the global community. In the current landscape, envisioning societal and national progress without recognizing digital technologies and online resources as integral components is both unlikely and implausible. The imperative for sustainable development in cultural, economic, and social domains underscores the urgency of fostering the evolution of technology, online resources, and communication tools. As the world witnesses continual growth and advancement in technology and communication, our nation must actively embrace this trend. Particularly in the realm of education, there is a pressing need to cultivate an environment that leverages contemporary digital technologies through the global Internet network. To propel the country forward and formulate future programs, a comprehensive examination of this matter from diverse perspectives is paramount, ensuring a nuanced understanding that fosters technological growth.
Vision Statement on the Advancement of Information Technology and Online Educational Resources
Positioning Jowzjan University as a hub for elevating human knowledge, cultivating an informed and skilled generation, and nurturing an expert workforce within society, entails becoming an exemplary educational institution. Specifically, the university aims to lead in the comprehensive expansion of all facets of information and digital technology, encompassing electronic educational resources (online). This includes advancing technological infrastructure, formulating content and methodologies for teaching and learning, and ensuring seamless access to electronic resources. Jowzjan University aspires to serve as a model institution, standing out among other universities for its commitment to providing the aforementioned elements to education seekers. The delineation of these objectives is articulated in the university's 5-year strategic plan.
Given the pivotal role of discussing information technology in conjunction with the advancement of online educational resources and the digitization of specific segments within this educational institution, the objectives and indicators integral to formulating and planning the development program of electronic (online) resources are outlined below:
- Information Technology Infrastructure in Education:
- Expand the utilization of new technologies for the effective use of electronic resources (online).
- Apply appropriate and relevant methods to enhance the level of knowledge and promote knowledge production.
- Creation of a Digital Library and Access to Online Resources:
- Increase the effectiveness of technology in teaching, training, and elevating the knowledge levels of students, managers, and presenters of digital educational programs.
- Provision of E-Learning Resources and Information Technology Services:
- Align with national and international standards in delivering e-learning resources and information technology services.
- Support the strengthening and improvement of knowledge levels among students, professors, and management employees.
- Delivery of Services, Digital Content, and E-Learning Tools:
- Provide contemporary technology-based services, digital content, and e-learning tools and resources for e-learning instructors, administrators, students, and staff.
- Building a Network of Branches:
- Foster the creation of knowledge, facilitate the exchange of experiences, and establish reserves for ongoing development.
These objectives and indicators form a comprehensive framework for the institution's development program, ensuring a strategic approach to integrating information technology into the educational landscape.
- Utilization Duration of Computer and Infrastructural Resources:
- The duration of students' engagement with computers and existing infrastructures, with a focus on reinforcing fundamental infrastructural elements as enduring foundations.
- Computing Assets Quantity and Quality:
- Evaluation of the number and quality of computers available for student and employee use, emphasizing both quantity and technological specifications.
- Technology Facility and Online Resource User Metrics:
- Assessment of the number of users, including students and employees, accessing technology facilities and online resources, with an emphasis on both quantity and user experience.
- Establishment of Scientific Electronic Space:
- Development of a conducive scientific electronic environment to facilitate the provision of services related to accessing online (digital) educational resources.
- Formulation and Implementation of Financial Resource Attraction Strategies:
- Formulating and planning strategies to attract internal financial resources for the university by facilitating access to electronic education resources, subject to approval from the relevant authorities.
- Strategic Planning for Technological Services Enhancement:
- Planning initiatives aimed at providing new and contemporary technology services tailored for students, professors, and employees, fostering an environment of continuous improvement.
- Implementation and Strengthening of Learning Management Systems (LMS):
- Establishment and reinforcement of Learning Management Systems (LMS) in the teaching domain, ensuring effective integration and utilization within the educational framework.
- Enhancing the Proficiency in Digital Technology:
- Elevating the knowledge proficiency and digital technology skills of professors, designers, and producers involved in creating online and electronic education resources.
- Integration of Technology in Traditional Libraries:
- Incorporating technology into traditional libraries (physical library settings) to enhance accessibility and optimize resource utilization.
- Conducting Seminars and Short-term Workshops:
- Organizing seminars and brief workshops aimed at advancing knowledge levels and fostering proficiency in the reception and utilization of online resources.
- Quality and Allocation of Bandwidth for Individual Users:
- Assessing the internet quality and allocating sufficient bandwidth for each user to ensure optimal connectivity.
- Extent of Network Services Offered:
- Evaluating the range of services provided within the network to meet diverse user needs.
- Actual and Maximum Utilization of Internet Resources:
- Monitoring both real and maximum usage of internet resources to gauge efficiency and address potential limitations.
- Integration for Accessing Electronic Resources and International Digital Libraries:
- Facilitating access to electronic resources and international digital libraries by seamlessly integrating links with the academic institution's website.
Structure and Learning Environment
In electronic education, the teaching-learning environment and its spatial components are pivotal elements within this educational approach. Hence, the ongoing, systematic enhancement, and regular updates of this domain hold significant importance. The selection and configuration of the environment should be guided by a thorough needs assessment and consideration of the academic infrastructure of the educational institution.